Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring Break

So I know I'm a little behind on this considering spring break was 2 weeks ago, but I decided since I'm going to be down for the next couple weeks why not keep a blog? For spring break Tyler and I were able to go visit and stay with his grandparents in California. The trip down there was long especially since I was the one that had to stop for frequent potty breaks (no way was I going on the side of the road). Once we got there we  spent the night at his grandparents home before heading to the beach house the next day. The weather was definitely an improvement over the 30-40 degrees we had been getting in Utah! Brrrrr. I had almost forgotten what sunshine and warmth felt like!

Since I've only been to California about 4 times my whole life I created a list of some things I wanted to do. One was to go to the old courthouse and take some pictures of it. The main reason why I wanted to do that is because in the TV series Psych they use it a few times in the first episodes. Next on my list was to go to a pier/wharf because I obviously had never been on one before. We went to Stearns Wharf and had a delicious lunch. I got a burger with different kinds of peppers in it and they even used a flower to hold it together. First time Only time I've ever had a flower in my burger ;). After lunch we walked through the little tourist shops that were there and then we went to the Ty Warner life museum. That was really cool! We got to pet little sharks, sea cucumbers, starfish, crab and sea anemones! They showed other species that lived in the area as well and even had a little mock set-up of the tides and how the sea creatures react to them. As we were leaving there I found the most adorable turtle that I was able to convince Tyler to get. So meet Myrtle the Turtle. (One thing I found ironically funny was the dolls there were Ty beanie babies and the museum was the Ty Warner museum.)

The next day we just chilled at the beach house and walked up and down the beach collecting seashells. It was really cool to see the fog as it rolled in and then rolled away. I was surprised by how fast it actually came and went! The last day on the beach we went out to brunch at the last remaining Sanbos Restaurant. Cool fact that the waiter told us was that it was the first one to open and is now the last remaining one. 

Look at the beautiful palm trees and warm sunshine! :)

Once we were done with brunch it was back to the beach for us. I decided I wanted to create a sandcastle, because never doing one before you just have to try! I started to use a little sand castle mold thingi that only ended up working twice before it decided that It wanted me to create the castle by hand. Tyler must have gotten bored lying on the beach closer to the house because when I looked up from my baby castle failure he was bringing larger molds to do the castle. That's when I though if we are going to build a castle it might as well be a big one! He would do the molded sections as I filled in the gaps to create a single wall. Once we were done our castle had a moat (that Tyler used a shovel to do) as well as a bridge and 4 walls. I thought it would be fun to do a little city inside but it started to cool down as the fog rolled in so we left it how it was.

It was definitely a fun vacation and I can't wait to go back there sometime and have even more fun when we have our little girl enjoy it for the first time too!

No comments:

Post a Comment